How to Achieve Your Career Goals through Strategic Planning
Every job-seeker or employee needs to spend quality time reflecting on their career and developing some plans for the future. Whatever your circumstances career planning can help you accomplish what you want to achieve and effectively prepare you for your future job.
Short-term Career Planning
A short-term goal is something you want to accomplish soon, this can mean today, this week or even this year. Try to keep these goals realistic, things that you can achieve in the near future or right away. Completing these short-term milestones can help you manage your time better and eventually lead to bigger accomplishments in your career.
Long-term Career Planning
Where do you see yourself in 5 years’ time? Long-term career goals can help you to visualise where you will be in the future and may require you to plan a broader course of action to achieve this. Looking ahead can help to give you a sense of direction and display your focus towards career development. Remember it is crucial to succeed in achieving your short-term career goals to be able to advance to your long-term aspirations – these two goals should be aligned to one another.
The following steps can help you to develop a plan for achieving your goals and ensure you have more success in realising them:
- Recognise your next career move: Start to narrow down your career pathway to give yourself direction and allow you to focus on one clear objective.
- Get informed: Start to do detailed research about your career and investigate what is needed to be successful within this type of role. The more information you find out, the easier it will be to ascertain what goals you need to set yourself.
- Upskill yourself: Find out if there are any qualifications, training or short courses available that will help you to be more successful in your chosen field and keep you up to date with any industry changes. Refreshing your skills is a great way to show that you are passionate about your career and are willing to go the extra mile.
- Constructive feedback: Gaining career advice and feedback from a mentor can prove to be invaluable. Listen carefully and use this in a positive way to influence your actions and give you better direction to achieve your goals.
- Keep it fresh: Review your goals regularly and update as you go if needed. Also strive to set yourself new goals when you accomplish your old ones, helping you maintain fresh plans to keep you inspired.
- Positive mindset: Believe in yourself! There are many things that can impact you on your career journey but remaining positive can help you to overcome these obstacles and stay focused. Have patience and be persistent in sticking to your big plans.
Career planning is essential in order to succeed. Think of it as a continuous process throughout your career to actively and professionally develop yourself in order to achieve your desired goals!