How To Write The Perfect Linkedin Invitation
LinkedIn is an extremely useful tool for graduates and professionals seeking to increase their network and make connections to enhance their career prospects. However when sending LinkedIn invitation requests, many people make the mistake of not personalising the invitation request.
Below are some top tips to help you to write an effective LinkedIn invitation:
- Have a professional profile photo: If you do not have one you will not be giving a good first impression of yourself to your new potential connect. Selfies, group photos and photos of you not wearing professional attire should be avoided.
- Personalise your greeting: By beginning your message with “Hi [name]” or “Dear [name]” it makes the message more personalised. Take care to spell the person’s name correctly.
- Introduce yourself: Explain who you are and what you do for a living/what you are studying.
- Explain how you know them: It is really important to explain how you know them, or how you know of them. It is especially important if you haven’t actually met the person or have met them only once before. Did you meet at a careers fair? Did a friend recommend that the two of you connect? Did you read an interesting article they wrote?
- Explain the reason why you are connecting with them: Having a clear reason to connect with them rather than sending them a generic invitation request will increase your chances of your invitation being accepted.
- End on a positive note: Signing off your invitation with a warm message like “I look forward to hearing from you” will make you appear friendly and approachable.
Here’s an example of a simple yet effective LinkedIn invitation:
I am a recent Accounting Graduate and noticed we both graduated from the University of Technology, Sydney from the Accounting department. I thought your profile and experience was really interesting and I would love to connect and network with you. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks!
I’m sure if you follow these tips you will increase your LinkedIn connections significantly and enhance your career.